Friday, January 8, 2010

Teresa in the Kitchen, Stab 2.


I am so back!

I am cheating badly. I am supposed to try a new recipe every week, but I needed this confidence boost.

I just made George Stella 's Anaheim Shrimp Scampi recipe and it was every bit as amazing as it was the first time I had it three years ago. Back then, George, a Food Network chef, was promoting his cookbook and serving scampi at a local supermarket when I passed by his demo table. After one taste, I bought his book and all the necessary ingredients. I cooked his scampi dish that night and three times later that year.

My husband just walked in from work and is picking at what I left for him on the stove while he talks on the phone. Aside from one cocktail party, I have never seen my husband eat while standing. There is no stronger endorsement than this.

A tip on the recipe: I did a short-cut on the scampi butter. I partially melted the required stick of butter in a microwave-safe dish for 15 or 20 seconds, and then whisked in the other ingredients. I molded the melty mix into a cigar shape and stuffed it into the freezer for ten minutes. It almost turned solid and that was good enough for me.

I somehow managed to buy amazing avocados yesterday. I usually suck at produce selection.

This is my best low-carb meal yet. OK, I've only tried two and yesterday's was a disaster. To answer the unspoken question, yes, I tasted it off the floor. It was awful but I am going to try the meatloaf recipe again.

I am counting this post as next week's. I fly on Monday for business.

My photos to come, I swear.

1 comment:

  1. Hey T! I only made meatloaf once, just a couple of months ago actually. It was falling apart but tasted OK. Keep up the great work. This is fun. I'm allergic to shrimp but it sounds yummy. Cool about the article in the Portland press Herald! Love, E

    ReplyDelete