Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Adam's Short Story #2 - Atlas' Hips


It took me awhile to figure out which stories I should read for this adventure. Do I tackle the most famous stories or do I find random stories written by an amateur? The answer was easy...let's read both. I have decided to place all the stories I have accumulated into a folder and randomly select my weekly read.

"You're not going to be able to do that anymore," a line every parent-to-be has heard one too many times in a nine month span. For me everyone scolded me because my whole life I have been disappearing to concerts. Never was I asked if I will stop going, but rather that it WAS going to come to an end. That was my preference to keep going to shows, but there are more things in life that "You're not going to be able to do that anymore” which do not come by choice and sometimes those are the hardest to swallow…if you even notice that they are gone at all.

Atlas' Hips by Darrin Navarro is of two expectant parents discussing (in a compromising position) the new life they will have to leave behind once their child is born. Talking of exotic excursions and precarious expeditions the loving couple misses the moments that are happening to them currently.

Needless to say I felt an emptiness after reading this piece about the moments I have failed to notice and can not recapture. Every once in awhile you need a reminder like this to wake you up to the fact that not every moment comes with a commemorative t-shirt and could be gone in a flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment